Over its long life the Nelson Monument has been facing strong easterly winds carrying salt spray, rain and sand and has been choked by years of smoke from herring curing works and factories.
There have been previous restoration projects; in 1859 to repair Britannia after a gale and to build railings around the building, after the Second World War when Britannia had to have both arms replaced after a lightening strike and again in 1982/3 when the Coade-stone Britannia and the caryatids supporting her were replaced with glass reinforced resin. 2004/5 sees another restoration that will conserve this building for future generations.
The Norfolk Historic Buildings Trust has pulled together funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund, The Objective 2 Fund and other bodies and is working in partnership with Great Yarmouth Borough Council and Norfolk County Council to consolidate the building and improve it's setting.
The stonework will be repaired and the mortar joins will be re-pointed and the Latin inscription on the west face of the plinth will be cleaned with a revolutionary laser technique.
The Nelson Monument Restoration Project was completed in time for Trafalgar Day 2005 and visitors to the site saw the new railings and gate created in wrought and cast iron to the 1860 design of crossed tridents, laurel wreaths and a Greek key motif.
The site now has new interpretation panels and the grounds will be opened by volunteers on regular days for the public to get a closer view and find out more about this extraordinary building. Click to find out Open Days available in 2006